If you are happy with your smile, you might not think that visiting a cosmetic dentist is important. After all, what can they do for you? Truth is that visiting a dentist with a strong sense of aesthetics will enable you to continue enjoying your beautiful smile for years to come.
At Smilemakers, we can provide you will many cosmetic improvements for your smile and prevent common dental problems that can ruin the appearance of your teeth. Our cosmetic dentist in Southampton will examine your teeth thoroughly and help you decide which treatment (or treatments) is ideal for your individual case.
Prevent tooth decay
Unlike most general dentists, cosmetic dentists are accustomed to looking at teeth in detail because their aim is to evaluate the aesthetics of a smile. Some general dentists may not examine your teeth as carefully. This could potentially leave them with small cavities, which can develop into more serious decay before they are properly detected.
Some general dentists may even cause tooth damage because they are not gentle on your teeth. Random poking and scraping can create small injuries that may lead todecay. A
has a soft touch and will ensure that your natural teeth will remain as healthy and as attractive as ever.
Have attractive restorations
Most patients experience tooth decay at some point in their lives and sometimes there is little to do to prevent it. While all dentists can offer you functional restorations, only a cosmetic dentist can give you attractive ones, which can maintain the aesthetics of your smile. For instance, a cosmetic dentist in Stevenage will use composite white fillings and crowns instead of metal ones.
Avoid wear and tear
Last but not least, a cosmetic dentist in Stevenage can help protect your teeth from regular wear and tear. If your bite is not properly aligned, some of your teeth may be exposed to extreme force. This can cause wear and tear or even lead to chipping and cracking.
Get in touch
If you are looking for cosmetic dentistry in Southampton, give us a call today and we will book an appointment for you.
Your smile is without doubt a valuable asset. It says a lot about who you are and helps you to connect with other people. Once when a cavity occurred the only option would have been an unsightly metal filling. Nowadays white or tooth coloured composite fillings are an attractive cosmetic alternative and are strong enough to withstand the normal wear and tear of everyday life while keeping your natural smile looking flawless. In fact, composite fillings are so popular that as a cosmetic dentist in Southampton we regularly replace the fillings of patients who are unhappy with their unsightly silver amalgam fillings with composite ones.
White fillings are made from a mixture of plastic and glass particles. The decayed portion of the tooth is removed and the soft composite resin is placed in layers to ensure that it completely fills the cavity. Each layer is hardened using a special light which bonds the composite resin to your tooth. Once hardened, your highly skilled Southampton dentist is able to shape the composite so that it resembles your other teeth and to ensure an even bite. It’s then polished to prevent premature wear and staining.
There are many advantages to composite fillings including:
- Aesthetics – Unlike silver coloured fillings, composite fillings look just like your natural teeth since the colour can be carefully blended for a seamless finish. This makes them an ideal choice for front teeth which would look very unattractive with a silver filling.
- Stability – A composite filling also requires very little of the tooth structure to be removed for placement which means more of your natural tooth is preserved. Since the filling bonds with the actual tooth it offers additional stability for a tooth that has already been weakened by decay.
- Insulation – White fillings are not affected by any changes in temperature which occur in your mouth, unlike amalgam fillings which tend to contract and expand, and this protects your tooth from fracture.
- Versatility – Composite resin is very versatile and besides fillings can also be used to repair teeth that are chipped, broken, or badly worn.
- Free from metal – Finally, white fillings do not contain any metal. Some studies have suggested that mercury used in amalgam fillings can pose a threat to your health, although this is not conclusive.
If you live in or around Southampton and would like to have white fillings placed or wish to replace your old metal fillings with more natural tooth coloured ones, then why not get in touch with Smilemakers, you local cosmetic dentist in Southampton.Call today on 02380 442626 to book an appointment with Dr Thomas Darling or contact us via our website at www.smilemakers.co.uk