Smiling isn’t just a facial expression that shows you’re feeling happy, it also helps connect with other people and put them at their ease. Various studies have also revealed that a white, healthy smile can lead to greater social acceptance and more job opportunities. Without the right care, however, your smile can cause you to lose self confidence and can also lead to a variety of dental problems. Here are 5 tips for a brighter, more healthy smile.
- As a Southampton dentist we bang on about brushing, flossing, and rinsing twice a day and that’s for a very good reason. The number one way to keep your teeth white and healthy and to fight off bacteria is with good home oral care. That said, it’s all about brushing and flossing properly for 2 full minutes a day, followed by rinsing with an antiseptic mouth wash. If you’re not sure how to brush and floss correctly then our hygienists can show you.
- Be aware of the foods you’re eating – It’s pretty obvious that the food you put into your mouth can have a direct impact on the condition of your teeth and gums. Foods which stain your teeth, are filled with sugar, or high in acid content, can all have a negative effect on the health and appearance of your teeth. By limiting your consumption of these foods and rinsing with water once you’ve eaten them, you can reduce your chances of decay and cavities.
- Whitening – although white teeth aren’t necessarily healthier, they are commonly linked with health. You can keep your teeth white by cutting down on drinks such as coffee, tea, and red wine. However, if your teeth are discoloured or stained then your cosmetic dentist in Southampton can offer you power whitening or home whitening treatments to restore your smile.
- Straightening – Unfortunately we aren’t all blessed with straight even teeth and conditions such as a cross bite, overbite, crowding, and gapping, can all impact on functionality and appearance. However thanks to a plethora of brace systems there’s something to suit all needs and budgets to straighten out your smile and make your teeth easier to maintain.
- Visit your dentist in Southampton – finally, it’s important to visit your dentist at least twice a year to keep your smile in tip top condition. Any problems can be detected early and fixed before they can develop into something more complex and expensive to rectify. In addition,the hygienist can remove plaque which you can’t remove by brushing alone, keeping your teeth healthy and clean.
If you haven’t visited your Southampton dentist in a while, then it’s never too late to get back to good habits. Call Smilemakers today on 02380 442626 to book an appointment with Dr. Thomas Darling or contact us online at www.smilemakers.co.uk.