Cosmetic dentistry has become increasingly popular and with so many dentists offering such treatments, choosing a cosmetic dentist in Southampton can be a daunting task. After all how do you know if you can trust them to do a good job and how do you know if they have the right training? Use the 10 pointers below to avoid any pitfalls and to help you choose a competent dentist who you feel at ease with and in safe hands. Above all, don’t be shy about asking any questions. Any reputable cosmetic dentist will be happy to answer your questions no matter how silly they may seem to you.
When speaking to a cosmetic dentist, they should:
- Listen to how you would like your teeth to look
- Answer your questions in simple language that is easy to understand
- Be transparent and honest about what they can do for you
- Discuss which treatments are best suited to you
- Advise on what is the best treatment for your teeth and for your particular aesthetic goals
- Tell you what treatment would be good for you and why
- Be knowledgeable on all up to date treatments
- Tell you just how long a treatment should take
- Put in writing a treatment plan and pricing structure before you decide to go ahead
- Advise you on how long any specific treatment is guaranteed and how to ensure the guarantee remains valid
Training and education
It’s important to know that although dental schools offer a good training in general dentistry most courses on cosmetic treatments are at a fairly basic level. A good cosmetic dentist should be regularly attending conferences, seminars and workshops so as to keep up to date with latest developments, research and new products as well as taking part in hands-on training. This continued education shows a cosmetic dentist has commitment and the knowledge necessary to do the best job possible. Check also that he or she is a member of the British Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (BACD).
Cosmetic dentists should also be using modern up-to-date equipment and offering the most recent treatments available. Intra-oral cameras, computers, lasers and imaging are all signs of a modern clinic. They should also have an informative website offering plenty of information to their readers about all the treatments that they provide.
In addition to the above points, a good cosmetic dentist should be promoting the laboratory that produces their veneers or crowns; explain how a treatment will affect your facial aesthetics as well as your bite and gums. Any treatment should leave your mouth feeling comfortable. They should also have a good selection of before and after photos of real patients that they have worked on. Finally, check whether they offer a payment plan and don’t be tempted to choose the cheapest because it’s quite likely they may be cutting corners or using inferior products. Remember, when it comes to cosmetic dentistry, you do get what you pay for.
If you’re seeking a cosmetic dentist then Southampton based Smilemakers would be only too happy to help. Dr Thomas Darling and his team are highly skilled and knowledgeable in all that they do. You can read more information on our website at www.smilemakers.co.uk or book an appointment by calling 02380 442626.